Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Up-cycled Sheets

When I first started buying materials for my quilt (which is now finished, but I have to take photos still), I bought a king-size jersey sheet made by the Company Store at St. Vinny's to possibly use as a backing. It turned out to be too small, but I didn't want it to go to waste. So I put my creative mind to task and figured out a way to make it into clothing. Voila...I give you the sheet shirt:

(Can I just say that all clothing should be made out of super comfy cotton sheets...it's like being in bed all day!)

The sheets as pictured on The Company Store site. My shirt was made from the pale yellow ones (to which my husband and brother would respond: "Thank you, Captain Obvious.")

I didn't use a pattern, but just kind of figured out how all the pieces would go together. It took me two tries. The first one would've been fine...until I sewed my two pieces so that one half was inside out--and it was too many stitches to rip out. On my second try, it was smooth sailing. I used the hem on the sheet so that I didn't have to hem the shirt myself. Not to pat myself on the back, but that was WAY smart! I hate hemming (maybe because I don't quite know the right way to do it). Overall, I'm pleased as punch with my new crafty creation. And it's the first piece of clothing I've sewn that I'm actually not afraid of falling apart...thank you again, Singer Curvy sewing machine!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: