Wednesday, November 11, 2009

15 Days Til Thanksgiving!

Is it too soon to start a countdown? It's true, after Halloween, Thanksgiving is my next favorite holiday. I like it even better than Christmas (actually, I'm not a huge Christmas fan overall). For me, Thanksgiving is drama-free, mainly because Shane and I have claimed it as our own. We live about 2 hours away from our families (we grew up in the same area), and every year we struggled to squeeze everyone in. After only a short time of that, we threw in the towel and decided we're no longer traveling for Thanksgiving and eating 2-4 turkey meals in 1-2 days. For the past 8 years (9?), we've had Thanksgiving at our place. Sometimes it was just the two of us, but usually Shane's mom, sister, and sister's now fiance come up. We eat, watch movies, play games, and laugh uncontrollably. I usually have no voice by the end of the weekend, but it's so worth it.

So...let the countdown begin with vintage turkey day postcards that I found on Flickr. I love vintage postcards and even used to collect them when I was a kid. I think it started because it was the only thing in the antique shops my mom would frequent that I could afford to buy on my allowance. All of the postcards are now with my mom, so maybe I need to start a new collection of my own.

I love this one! It looks like Halloween, but is really Thanksgiving. And the creepy little elfy guy cracks me up!

Poor turkey. I apologize now to my vegetarian friends/readers. This one is a tad offensive.

This one reminds me of the kinds that I used to collect. I love this style.

Come on...how can you NOT love two turkeys in a corn car?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Those are AWESOME. How fun would those be to frame and put up in your house for the season??

Carrie said...

I was even thinking it would be cute to do a little clothesline and pin up new ones each season. (Mainly because I'm too lazy to frame and reframe. =)