Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Unintentional Sweater Sabotage

I feel totally horrible. For the past month or so, I've been getting together with red-haired Shannon (as named by Jessica who has three Shannons in her life) to teach her how to knit. She was a quick study. I actually taught her a few months ago, and she made a sweet little scarflette soon after. She then asked me if I'd help her knit a baby sweater. Side note: Shannon has 17 friends having babies. 17!!!! I'm not even sure I know 17 people.

Shannon and I have been meeting on Fridays at a local knitting shop, and I've been helping her understand how to read a pattern. I'd then send her home with "homework."

She was making all this progress and her stitches looked awesome. We broke her off to start the sleeves....and, well, here's where I feel horrible.

Can anyone see what's wrong with this picture? No?

Right there. Darn it to hell! Two sleeves on one side. And it wasn't Shannon's newbie fault at all. It was mine. I placed the markers for her, but placed an extra set. Never in my few years of knitting have done that, and then I do it to someone else on their first big project. I felt horrible!

Here's what the sleeve SHOULD look like. Just one...on one side.

And now this is what the sweater looks like. To make it up to Shannon, I said I'd pull it back and knit it to the point she had it WITHOUT the third sleeve. An honest mistake, but one I'd prefer to make to my own knitting...not someone elses!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Live and learn chickee. Guarantee that neither you nor red-haired Shannon will make that mistake again. =)
Love the color of the sweater. Post a picture when she's done, if you do not mind. I'd love to see the finished product.