Friday, July 11, 2008

SOX contest!

(Sorry, big brother, we're not talking White Sox here.)

As you've seen from past posts, I'm big on contests. I may not enter them all, but they're always great for inspiration and for getting the creative juices flowing. I just came across a new contest that I think is going to be very fun and force me to try something new--knitting socks! The Think Outside the Sox Contest started in February and ends January 1, 2009. There are a number of different categories to enter (go here for all the info)--everything from lacy baby socks to most avant-garde adult socks. The goal is to design and knit a pair of socks that think outside the box (or sox). There are over $20,000 in winnings available, with top prize being $6,000. Winning entries will also be featured in Knitter's Magazine and a new sock book from XRX Books.

I've never knitted socks before, although I did knit our Christmas stockings last year (I think I'll show those closer to the holidays since they are buried hip-deep in our over-packed storage space at the moment), which is kind of similar. Before I create my entry for this contest, I think I better give knitting some sock patterns a try first to see if I even like it. Below are a few I'm considering. I'll show my progress as I go (but it might be a few weeks before I start.)





Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: