Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Need a Crystal Ball for This Baby Sweater

(Mandy C. avert your eyes)

I just finished making a new baby sweater which was intended for my friend and co-worker Mandy C. She helped me with my quilt in exchange for a baby sweater. She doesn't know if she's having a boy or a girl, and asked for something in natural colors. So I found a yarn that incorporated different colors and makes cool patterns as you knit. It was fun to see how it all turned out, but the O.C.D. in me is still thinking I should've tried to make the front stripe the same way on both sides. Oh well, I still dig it.

Here's my dilemma: I quite adore this itty bitty sweater, but I keep thinking it feels too boy-ish vs. gender neutral. I think a baby girl can pull off green, browns and grays more than a baby boy can pull off pale yellow and lavender, which is why I picked this yarn (plus, she asked for natural colors). And a few people I've asked said it's fine. But the more I look at it, the less I'm sure. I've started a second baby sweater with the same yarn but a different pattern--one that feels a tad less masculine. AHH...I don't know. I know I'm over thinking it. I guess I'll see how the other sweater I'm knitting turns out. If it I like it better then I'll sell this one on Etsy.

Oh, and the pattern is Debbie Bliss's Ribbed Baby Jacket (available here).

Sweater front

Sweater back.

I think this sweater is not as cute pictured sans baby, so I wanted to show some pictures of what other people knit and put on their babies. Too cute!



Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: